When Jason graduated, he was looking for a top firm in a cool city, preferably abroad. He noticed that there were a lot of firms in Amsterdam that did work that he liked so we were kind of looking there. I knew the thought of us moving to Amsterdam (the Vegas of Europe where everything is legal) would freak out certain members of my family so I kind of kept that choice under wraps until we had something so they wouldn't have to worry about us longer than they had to. I figured while it would be hard to raise a righteous family in that setting it wouldn't be impossible.
Then in August, we had our school blessings. In my family, every year before school started, my dad would give us each a priesthood blessing. We've been doing it since before I was born and we don't stop just because we have graduated. This year, we were quite interested to see what was coming. To our great surprise it said, in essence, that we shouldn't look for a job in a prestigious firm or a prestigious city but should look somewhere small and out of the way instead. The analogy was that we should look for Nazareth and when the Lord needed Jason to rise up and be a leader, He would know where to find him. It pointed out that he could get a job where he was looking but that a job like that would basically suck him dry and he wouldn't be happy. What would make him happy would be a job where he had the time for his family, his church callings, community work or even designing his own house (which, oddly, Jason has had no real interest in but he would have the time for it if he wanted).
Well, after council like that, what could we do? We started thinking about big cities that are kind of off the architectural radar so to speak. We decided to stay in the States and from our list of a few places, decided to look into Boston. Jason found a web site that listed all of the firms in any given city and he started looking into them. Some of the firms were actually hiring and he applied to them. Others weren't but he liked what they did so he contacted them anyway. I, in the meantime was investigating Boston so that we would be ready to go when the job came.
Things didn't seem to be going anywhere and Jason was getting discouraged and kind of sequestering himself into our room and playing games on his work breaks. One day, not that long ago, he left our room and was talking to Kristen. I came in kind of in the middle of the conversation so I don't know what prompted it. They were talking about Jason's school blessing. Kristen had been there when he got it and was pointing out that maybe we were looking in the wrong place and that is why things weren't going so well. She thought, from the Nazareth description, we were looking at places that were too big and needed to look at smalled towns. She pointed out that we could get what we wanted in a place to live (things like museums, culture and general things to do) without living in a big city and we would probably be able to actually afford to do them. Which was a good point. When we lived in Salt Lake City we really enjoyed going to the symphony even a few operas. We had wanted to do it in Philadelphia too but they were just too expensive, even when I was working. She also pointed out that there are a lot of things about Boston that will be hard on Anna. Things like legalized gay marriage, longer school days (3 hours longer, there was an article in the paper) and universal health care (although that last one would affect our taxes mostly). She pointed out that if the Lord wanted us to go to Boston, then she wouldn't worry but based on the blessing, it didn't really sound like it.
We conceded that she had a point. Since then we have been looking for firms and towns that are around the size of San Luis. Needless to say, this had been a tough adjustment for us. Jason is having a hard time getting excited about the work that they do and I am having a hard time knowing how to help him feel better and get excited. We went to the temple the day after talking to Kristen. It was a good trip. I was worried about how long it would take to essentially start over and had the prompting that once we were able to kind of wrap our heads around the change, it wouldn't take long. That was a huge comfort to me because as much as I like being here, I don't really want to be here forever.
So we have made a list of what exactly we want in wherever we go. As I was reading the list to Kristen, she said it sounded like Fort Collins, Colorado. They have 9 architecture firms there. We are also thinking of the eastern Midwest, a place that looks like the East but isn't as uptight. I'm looking online at things like lists of Top Small Towns for Families and things like that. We are trying to find people we know anywhere who might know architects. That is one nice thing about being friends with people while we are all students, as we graduate and scatter, I now have friends all over. So, if anyone knows someone who is an architect (not necessarily an architect who is hiring, just an architect) anywhere, let us know. We need all the help we can get.



3 comments:
Looking for a job is always stressful, but trying to land the first job out of school is especially harrowing. It's easy to think, this is the rest of my life we're talking about. But actually, most people change firms or locations or both several times during their career. A first job can act as a launching pad, so it's good to be open to opportunities.
We don't know architects (sorry), but as for living out of the way, we can tell you it's not so bad. New York and Ponca City aren't the only options--there are many places somewhere between. Even here in Oklahoma, Oklahoma City and Tulsa are quite different from isolated little Ponca, with lots of things to do (museums, concerts, etc) but still with reasonable housing prices. And I have to say, it is great being able to afford a house you like, even early in your career. We also like St. Louis, MO, or Colorado. We hear from friends that Madison, WI and Minneapolis are happening places.
I know I'm biased. But as I was reading I thought about how Sierra Vista is a small place, but it has big ambisions. But if I am to be a little more honest, I think Tucson would be more your stuff. Have you looked into Tucson? Its a really aforable place to live. They are slightly more on the liberal side of Arizona, and are big on their cultural stuff. You'd be only an hour from the temple and only and hour from me. Look into Tucson, its a really developing place with a history.
Thanks for the update. It was very interesting to read, and I appreciate you sharing some difficult things. It's also interesting to see the process you're going through. It seems that change often comes. Sometimes it's a very physical change, and sometimes it's really all mental or emotional, but both are equally as real and often difficult. Troy and I feel like the winds of change are coming for us w/ Troy in grad. school, but we're not sure exactly when or how.
I didn't realize that Amsterdam was a secret; I think you did mention it, sort of in a mumble, a couple of times. Naturally, I had a few concerns about you going there, but I assumed that you would make any big decision like that with the Lord's help, and therefor would be in the right place for your family. One thing we've learned, though, is that what I think I want, and what Heavenly Father knows will really make me happy are often two opposite things. He's right more often than I am, though. One last thing is, while Troy and I used to think it was all about us and what we wanted/needed, we've realized as our kids have gotten older and been more out in the world and less at home that it's really about them, and we're in a supporting role. Kind of humbling. Good luck-we love you.
Emily
Post a Comment