
One fun thing about having a holiday on the weekend is that you can really drag the celebrations our to last all weekend, starting on Thursday or so. That's what we did with Valentine's Day this year. I feel like I'm just figuring out how to do holidays with kids. I had gotten out of the habit of really celebrating smaller holidays (when in school, holidays totally go on the back burner) and Valentine's Day has never really been a big one for me. But this year I had Anna and she was totally getting into the whole thing.
Anna adding more sprinkles (it was looking a bit bare) with her lollipop on the side for later. I think her favorite part of the holiday is the candy everywhere.We went to a little party thrown by a friend here with her mom's group. We played with their toys, decorated bags for cards, decorated cupcakes, and exchanged cards. I heard about it kind of last-minute so I didn't think about getting any cards. Fortunately, the mom who hosted it had some extra so we put our names on them and handed them out. Anna was pretty good about putting the cards into the bags. When we were doing the cupcakes, some one handed Anna a bottle of sprinkles that didn't have a shaker top, it was just open. Naturally, on her first try, the little balls spilled all over the table. I tried to clean them up but as I was putting them back in the bottle, they spilled again. It was a bit of a mess but funny.
Then on Friday we had a little party with the cousins that don't get to go to school. Again we did that cards and decorated bags. It was cute to have Anna choose which cards she wanted to give to which people. I laid out all of the options and ask which one for each person and she would choose. It was fun. Then we decorated cookies. Ironically, this time Anna was all into putting all of the different sprinkles on her cookie but was never interested in eating it. I don't really know what was up with that.
On Saturday, Jason and I were the host couple at a youth Etiquette Dinner but that will be it's own post. Sunday was pretty low-key after all of that. We had a simple dinner at home with candles and Jason and I gave each other good quality chocolate (which is all I want on Valentine's day). It was a lovely weekend.



No comments:
Post a Comment