Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Decorations

I feel like I've been a bit behind with Christmas decorations this year. After all, we only just got our tree up this past weekend. Here are some of the things we have put up to make our place feel just a little more festive.

We got a wreath for our door and added the ribbon. It's a real wreath and it's kind of nice to have that whiff of pine scent when we open the door to go in or out. A trick I learned from my sister Kristen for hanging wreaths is to use a ribbon wrapped around the wreath and just stapled to the top of the door. I love this because then you don't have to deal with the hangers that inevitably make the door hard to close.

We got a light up garland to go around the door to the bedrooms. I don't know if you can tell because the picture is dark but I added little ribbon bows all around the door for extra fun. Side note on bows, these ones are made with wire ribbon which is great because even if your bow doesn't turn our perfect (and whose does?), you can just manipulate it until it looks how you want it to and it will stay.

A simple Merry Christmas sign like our Halloween one. I thought about using shapes and then adding the letters in black but I was afraid they wouldn't show up as well on the darker colors of red and green. That is also our count down to Christmas candy chain. I wanted to find a chocolate advent calendar like we had when I was growing up but couldn't find any and wasn't willing to drive to every Longs Drug in town so we just made one. I got a thing of European chocolates and Anna loves cutting it off every night. We don't mind the yummy chocolate either.
Our tree part one. Sadly, it covers up our sign but oh well, this was really the only place to put it. It took us a couple of days to get it decorated and Anna was getting a little impatient so she decided to take care of it herself. Here she is posing (in her jammies) with her decorations of white pom poms and the Christmas cards we had gotten up to that point. She was also putting all kinds of toys under it and calling them birthday presents.

And here is Anna with our tree once we got our real decorations on it. I'll do another post on what's on there because we made all the ornaments ourselves (not counting the candy canes of course). We do still have to stick a star on top and I have one more ornament to make but this is pretty much it.

1 comment:

Missa said...

We started putting presents from family under the tree this week. Katrina keeps commenting on how many presents there are and wondering where Santa is going to put his. Fun Christmas decorations. I like the candy chain. It sure sounds more delicious than the chocolate calendars.