Anna and I just made a new Halloween wreath completely out of googly eyes. I got the idea via Pinterest from
this site. I liked it because it is creepy without being gory or anything like that.
I started out with a floral foam wreath (mainly because I didn't want to go to the craft store and this is what they had a Walmart) and surrounded it in black duck tape. Then it was time for gluing. We used three sizes of eyes: big, medium and smaller. I didn't get any of the really little ones because the site I got it from said they would be too small.
 |
| Anna working on gluing. Sometimes I would hold the eye and sometimes she would. |
I kept meaning to do it at night when the kids were in bed but somehow it never happened so Anna got to be a part of it. I was wary but she did really well. She even took a turn with the glue gun. Naturally it was her first time with a glue gun and we had strings all over the place and a few burns but all in all there were no problems.
 |
| Placing the eye where is goes. She did a good job of keeping them close to each other. |
We started with the biggest ones and evenly spaced them around the form. There were 12 in the package and we used them all. Then we took the medium size ones and just surrounded the big ones with the medium ones. Once they were all surrounded like creepy flowers I added a few more along the sides. These ones came in packages of 150 and I used one full package and a handful of the second package.
 |
| Showing off after the first pass. Someday she will look at the camera when her picture is being taken.Sigh. |
Then it was onto the little ones. I used these and just filled in all the rest of the space. I used the whole package of 300.
 |
| Finished wreath waiting for the ribbon. |
Once it was all done, it was ribbon time. I learned this trick from my sister Kristen when we lived with her to hang and wreath by a ribbon stapled to the top of the door. I think it's brilliant because then the door closes easily (I hate it when you use a wreath hanger and the door sticks), you never see the holes and it's pretty. I chose a black wired ribbon with silver speckles and added a bow. Side note: wired ribbons are great for making pretty bows. Especially if your bows always look wonky (like mine do).
 |
| On the door. It even fits between the door and the screen. |
So here is our new wreath. I love it. It's fun on the door and I get to see it lots since our door is literally always open. Interestingly enough, the sun glints off of the eyes and adds an unexpected bling.
5 comments:
Love it! So fun and now you can have it for next year!
What a great idea! It sounds like the perfect craft to do with kids. And it turned out so cute. I especially love the bow.
This is really cute. The reason I started hanging my wreaths from ribbons is because my door is so tall that they look ridiculous way at the top of the door on a short wreath hanger. Now I just like it better on all of my doors.
that is so cute! i love it. we just might have to make one.
Such a clever idea!
Post a Comment