Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Crazy Pigeons

I don't know what it is with the pigeons around here but they have been acting crazy lately. Outside the back door, they keep getting into fights. As far as I can tell, they're fighting over who gets to sit where (the spot they really like is in the tiny space between the window AC and the ledge). If it gets really bad, I'll go out there and try to break them up.

But the really crazy thing is they have started walking into the living room. I leave the doors open so we can get a breeze and I guess the pigeons are just used to me by now. It first happened on Tuesday. I looked up and he was walking along the window. I didn't want to scare him and have him try to fly through the glass so I waited for him to walk back to the open part. Once he got there, he walked out on his own. I was able to get a picture this time with our trusty web cam
Little did I know this was not going to be an isolated incident. They have been waltzing in every day since then. On Tuesday it got so bad I had to close the door. Once when I was in Anna's room for a while changing her diaper, I came out and one looked like it was getting ready to settle in for a good nap while a second one was about to come in.

My favorite by far was yesterday. Jason and I were in the second sitting room and I heard a noise. I came out to the living room and one pigeon had flown up and was sitting on the light while another one was walking around on the floor. Fortunately, they leave without problems when we shoo them but still. In spite of the frequency, it's still a little bit surreal seeing a pigeon in the house.

Between this and the monkey incident, I'm beginning to feel like I live in a menagerie. I guess the wildlife here is like the foliage in Maryland, if you don't regularly beat it back, it just takes over.

No comments: