Wednesday, November 26, 2008

No One Likes Snot

Especially not people who are too young to blow their own nose. That's right, Anna has a cold poor kid. She actually had one a little bit ago and after it had gone away for a couple of days, she got another (or did it come back and is actually an ear infection, who knows?). A part of me blames the Toy Library. Not everyone adheres to the whole "don't bring your kids if they have a yucky nose" thing. Regardless of who is actually to blame, we are now in sick baby mode.

For the most part, she is doing well. She is still often happy and active. The problem is that with her snotty nose, she is having a hard time sleeping but is often tired. As a result, she is taking a lot of short naps. This morning, it was only 20 minutes! Another impediment to her sleeping is she has developed a cough. I think it hurts her throat too because often she will cough and then cry. Nighttime is hit and miss. She's been waking up more but goes back to sleep really easily. I often just have to rock her for a bit and sing a song and she is right out again.

This has quite changed the schedule of our days. Often I don't shower or get dressed right away and often take a morning nap. Jason has been a huge help with this. I love that he is home in the mornings with his schedule. Today we aren't going site-seeing like we usually do on Wednesdays (also because we are going into town tomorrow for Thanksgiving but more on that later). I did still manage to get out of the house yesterday and I think Anna liked it too.

One kind of good thing about all of this is that I'm getting pretty good with the snot sucking. Naturally, Anna hates this and has even taken to trying to keep me away with her hand. I like to think she enjoys it after it is done and she can breathe better but who knows. Either way, I kind of enjoy doing, aside from all the crying and wiggling. In the same way that I enjoy popping zits, I get kind of excited when I'm able to get snot out and often want to try just one more time. Hopefully she gets over this soon.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Bryan never liked the actual snot sucking process, but when he was older, he would actually bring us the bulb to have us use it on him because he enjoyed the aftermath.