Sunday, July 4, 2010

A Warm Ocean

Jason helping Anna walk on the uneven rocks.

As I mentioned, Anna is loving the ocean here. On Friday, we went to some tide pools. They were a bit different because it was all made up of lava rocks and some of them were really deep.

Up to my waist in the tide pools.

I didn't see many sea life in them but there were people snorkeling so there must have been some. The water was totally clear so that I could see the bottom no matter how deep it was. Which was good because the bottom was very uneven and I had to be able to see where I was going. Even still, I fell a couple of times and my legs are all scraped up and bruised. Lava rock: 2 Ellen: 0

Jason's parents opting out of going into the water.

Picture from the car of the dry side. It kind of looks like California.

The next day we went over to the other side of the island to go to the beach. It was kind of funny to drive up and over because we went through the dry side. It's pretty strange to go from lush jungle with palm trees to desert complete with cactus.

When the sun came out, the water was the most beautiful turquoise.

Then we went to the beach. There were several people but not crowded so that was nice. Poor Anna tripped and fell on the sidewalk on the way to the water and scraped up her knee. We were a bit worried about the salt water bothering her open wound but after a little while she was ok with it.
Happy in the water.

She loved the waves. We took her out past where they were breaking and just enjoyed the swells and that was fun.


She didn't like getting splashed (who does?) but other than that it was great. She was even willing to have me hold her out so she could pretend to swim. I was impressed with how well she can move her arms and kick.

Helping Grandpa

Anna spent some time on the beach making a sand castle with Grandpa complete with a tunnel. They even found some flowers to beautify it. The waves got it by the time we left and crashed the tunnel but the other two sides were still there.

Anna building up the tower.

A couple of fun days with only a little bit of sunburn on my back to remind us to put on sunscreen (Anna is unscathed, maybe she has her daddy's skin).

3 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

Ellen, those pictures are seriously cute!! I would go get prints of them today and frame them, especially the ones with you and Anna, you, Jason and Anna and Anna and the sand castle. Aaaah!! So fun! I am jealous. Seriously.

Hilary said...

i love that picture of the 3 of you in the water - SO cute!

Arizona Girl said...

Looks like ya'll are having tons of fun. You have some cute shots of playing on the beach. I'm horrible at remembering to actually take pictures.
Glad to hear you're doing well.