Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Snorkeling

Last Friday, we went to Kona for a quasi-job interview thing for Jason. He was meeting with an engineer that has some drafting work to get done. Jason calls it a definite maybe. Since his dad had the day off, we all went and made a trip of it. As we seem to have to do when we go to Kona, we went swimming. This time we chose a calm pool near one of the resorts. After Jason noticed that there was some reef and a goodly amount of fish, we decided to snorkel. Since we weren't planning on it, we left our camera in the car.


This is the first time either of us had ever done it and I have to say, it took me a little while to get the hang of it. I'll be the first to admit that I am not a strong swimmer. I always like to say that in the event of an emergency I wouldn't drown but I'm not about to go swim laps at the pool. However, since we've been going to the beach so much since moving here I've been getting better. So when I went out of the little protected pools, I was kind of tossed around a bit. It didn't take me long to decide to stay in the area. There wasn't as much to see but it worked much better for me. Plus, it turns out I'm not good at only breathing through my mouth. I thought I was but then my goggles fogged up.


Even with all of these problems, I quite enjoyed it. The fish were so colorful and generally didn't mind my being there. The most plentiful ones I saw were bright yellow and looked like the one in Finding Nemo that likes bubbles. Sadly, I made the Nemo connection whenever I could. The fish that looked like Gill was really exciting. There was also some purple stuff that was on the rocks and I could see it kind of flow with the water. It was very exciting and wasn't even at a place that is known for good snorkeling. It can only get better.

2 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

so fun!!!

Hilary said...

yay! i love snorkeling. and i like the water to be nice and calm too.