Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Not the Day I Planned


It started off innocently enough, Jason thought he would exercise and went swimming at our local pool. When he came home a little before noon he started to feel nauseous but didn't need to throw up. Then he started to feel light headed and laid down on the floor in the bathroom (this is where he called me in). When I came in his hands started getting tingly like when something falls asleep and seizing up (he was getting kind of scared at this point, it's better when your body works). I tried to rub his hands and arms at which part he started to hyperventilate. We were kind of freaked out at this point and I don't like to mess around with difficulty breathing so I called for an ambulance.

The EMTs got here pretty quickly so I left them to it and spent time with Anna (Jason was in good hands at this point). She was getting a little bit scared at this point too so we hung out together and read books, it seemed to help her calm down. After a little bit, one guy came out and let me know what was going on. It seems Jason was REALLY dehydrated and his blood pressure and heartrate were scary low (in the neighborhood of 70/10 and 40ish beats per minute). They gave him water and juice in an attempt to not have to go to the hospital but it became obvious that he needed more fluid and faster than he could drink at home so they took him to the hospital. On route they started an IV. Anna and I followed in the car after a little while.

When we got to him in the hospital, he was totally wrapped up in warm blankets. His blood pressure at this point was 105/60 which is way better. When the nurse came in, she said it was spectacular. I guess hospital spectacular is different than healthy people spectacular. We stayed there for a little while but there wasn't much going on and Anna was getting restless so we went home to let him rehydrate.

By this point, it was around 2:30. Anna went right to sleep and after her full nap Jason called me and was ready to be picked up at around 5. When he got home he was still thirsty and STARVING (seeing as he had missed lunch and all) so we decided to go out to dinner. Sadly, we got lost on the way to the restaurant we had in mind. Once we found it, it was closed. We finally found a place and had dinner. Even after eating he was still pretty wiped out so we had a restful evening. He's been drinking a lot of Gatorade since then.

It was a pretty intense day. I spent a lot of it reassuring Anna and explaining things in ways that she can understand. She got to learn about ambulances, hospitals and copays. Funny aside, we waited in the car while Jason paid a co-pay and when Anna was wondering why we were waiting, I told her that we had to pay for them to help us and if we didn't, they would have to keep Daddy. She thought that was funny too.

6 comments:

Amanda K said...

Poor Jason. Hope you're all feeling better :)

Anonymous said...

Wow glad that Jason is feeling better! What a stressful day. Take care!

Much love,
Sarah

Troy & Emily said...

Wow, what excitement! It sounds like you all handled a very intense situation very well.

Mrs Abbott said...

Gatorade is my new friend. When I was sick with the stomach flu for four days last week, I read online that Gatorade helps hydrate you, so I got some from a friend and later bought 24 of them at Sams Club to store in my food storge for such an emergency as that. Hope all goes well from here on out!

Boo said...

I'm glad it resolved in just one day. But in the meantime, what a scary experience.

Arizona Girl said...

That sounds like a miserable day! I'm sorry you had to go through that, but on the bright side it wasn't something worse. Hope you're well and that Jason is feeling better.