Friday, December 3, 2010

How I Spent My Day


I spent today canning. I've never canned before and thought of it like gardening and quilting: magical. Like from a Farside cartoon: then a miracle occurs and you have jars of food.

A while ago our ward got a bunch of papayas (they filled a truck bed) and we could just take as many as we wanted. I had two grocery store bags full and while they're yummy, it seemed like a bit much to just eat so I made chutney and canned it.

I was a bit wary but fortunately, Jason's mom is a crazy canning lady and talked me through how to do it. When she explained it, it seemed doable and simple. I was still a bit apprehensive but everything worked out just fine and now I have eight jars of papaya chutney. I'm amazed it worked and it's so exciting each time I hear the little thunk when the lid pops down. Now I just have to figure out how best to eat it.

2 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

fun! Congrats!

Hilary said...

i've only canned once (tomatoes), but i was amazed by it too. and no one got sick.