Monday, September 14, 2009

Learning to be a Person

Anna keeps doing things that make me chuckle and wonder where she got that from. Then I think about it and realize I do the exact same thing. Two examples have hit me lately. Anna loves to dance. I don't remember if I ever talked about this or not but once we were in Philadelphia on a busy pedestrian area and there were some people dancing on roller skates on the sidewalk. Anna walking right into the middle of them and started dancing herself. It was so cute. The roller skate people stopped and watched, joggers going by stopped and watched and she was oblivious to it, just enjoyed the music. Rather than lessening as she got older, she has simply mixed up her style.


I thought it was really funny that she was so into dancing until I realized that I dance with her all the time. When we would be out and about with her in the Moby wrap, I would dance with her feet if we had to stand still. Before making dinner, I would often dance with her in the living room (she would laugh and laugh). When she was sitting in her high chair eating, I would dance in front of her or we would watch Dancing with the Stars together. So really, no surprise that she is into dancing.


The next thing is singing. Anna has gotten into singing. She doesn't really sing actual words but she totally has pitch and tone. She will do hand motions while singing so she obviously is thinking of actual songs and often dances at the same time. Yesterday in church, we told her it was time to sing and she started right up even before the organ did. It was pretty funny.

Here is a little video of her showcasing her talents. As you can tell, she has no reservations in singing.




I don't know why it took me so long to realize it but today it occurred to me that I sing all the time too. I pretty much always have a song in my head even if I don't sing it out loud (Jason has been known to hum part of a song just to get it in my head). Even so, I often sing out loud. In the car I especially like to sing along with the music turned up quite loud (so I can't hear myself).



Kristen pointed out that she is learning from me (and probably Jason too) what it means to be a person. Apparently it means a lot of music, at least in our family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And that is Anna singing while distracted with a book; just imagine her singing and dancing around the room.

Arizona Girl said...

Love it while it lasts. Von use to be that way when he was little and all of the sudden one day he refused to sing almost ever (around age 3). It took to JR high to get him to sing again (that is when my mom forced him to join choir). He still won't sing by himself