Friday, March 26, 2010

Beach Day

The other day we went to the beach. It was still a little bit chilly to go in the water (which isn't saying much around here, it has to be in the 90s at the coast for me to want to get in that water) but we found a nice wind block and flew kites.


Nathan is a big kite person. This may have had something to do with living in Wyoming (where small children can get blown away if not held onto - literally) but Kristen said he got started when he was in graduate school in Baltimore. Now his kids all seem to be pros and Nathan was very patient with letting Anna feel like she was doing it.

All of their kites are two stringed ones that are fun but a bit trickier to keep up. By the end of the time we were there, I felt like I had gotten a hold of it and could keep mine in the air for a respectable amount of time. And I didn't even crash my kite into anyone. Go me!


Ironically, I was not looking forward to going and was contemplating staying home. All I could think of was everything I didn't like about the beach (the sand mostly). Then when we got there, it was so nice that I was glad I had gone. If we end up staying here for a long time, I can see needing to be practically dragged to the beach or else we'll never go. My poor kids.

2 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

i love the last picture with Ginger in the background. Dogs and kids and the beach- beautiful! Oh, and kites too! They are having a kite festival in D.C. tomorrow and it's always amazing.

Jen said...

I would love to go to that D.C. kite festival! Actually the good thing about the beach is that it's either windy or it isn't (usually it is) so you can keep a kite and a frisbee in your car, and you're pretty much ready for anything.