Sunday, March 7, 2010

Olympics

I know the Olympics ended a week ago but I only just got around to watching the closing ceremonies so it's got me thinking about them again. I was able to watch a fair amount of them this time (way better than last time when I was in India and didn't know the Indian websites to watch it on). Kristen's family actually got cable for the Olympics once we realized we couldn't watch full events on the internet otherwise.

I LOVE the Olympics. Jason and I spent our date night watching the opening ceremonies at my mom's house. Poor Jason fell asleep on the couch before it was over but I stayed up and enjoyed the whole thing. Then, the first day we had the cable set up, I watched it all afternoon with Christopher and Jonathan. Who knew snowboard cross was so interesting.

By far my favorite events are the figure skating. I stayed up late watching the women's short and long programs on tv. The online coverage was interesting because they showed it as if you were in the arena. All three plus hours of it with Zamboni breaks between the groups (that was harder to get to watch since Anna's naps aren't usually longer than two and a half hours). I find I really like the commentary. It's not as intrusive as it used to be and it gives a lot of good background on the different skaters and how their seasons have been going.

I even got Anna into watching it. She would watch the figure skating with me for little bits of time. She loved to watch them jump and after each one, she would say "more jumps!". One day I was watching the ladies and Anna was sitting on my lap. She held onto her leg in a position that looked just like what the skater had just been doing. Then she got up and started trying to spin on the bed. It was so cute.

Other than the events I knew I wanted to watch, I love how the Olympics gets you watching and interested in the sports that you wouldn't think to watch otherwise. Other than snowboard cross (which was awesome) I also got into bobsled, Nordic combined (we did so great in that one), slalom, pretty much whatever they showed in prime time. The funny thing about me is that I get all caught up in the athletes' stories that I want everyone to win. It seems like they all work so hard and it means so much to everyone that I don't even really care what country they are from. Heck, I was really happy for Canada to win men's hockey and for all the golds they got (this was the first home Olympics that Canada won a gold in and they got 14).

I'm so glad they changed the schedule to every two years. Although, I'm less interested in the summer Olympics, I'm still looking forward to London in 2012.

3 comments:

Arizona Girl said...

I too love to watch the Olympics. I find it funny that summer has so many more events, but when it comes down to it I love winter more. There are more events that I really look forward to watching. I wish i knew about watching them on the internet. I had looked and found nothing but replay clips that were uninteresting to me. I was stuck with NBCs day and evening coverage (which wasn't much). I got into just about everything. Its always nice to know I'm not the only Olympics junkie. Also growing up women's figure skating was my fav, now that I'm older I have to say its the ice dancing I love to watch more.

Jen said...

I found myself getting caught up in almost whatever they were showing, like the speed skating, of all things, and saying, "come ON! Go!" Never did watch curling, though, and the speed skating relays looked like pure chaos, and the two women skiers who were on almost every night for two weeks got little old-- but other than that I was totally caught in the tractor beam.

Jared Heather and Taegen Pete Johnstun said...

So I realized that you might not know how to get in touch with me about the clippers. My email address is hajohnstun@hotmail.com. Thanks a lot.