Anna pretending to be a princess
Anna loves stories, especially in the car. It seems like every time we get in the car, she wants to hear a story. I used to fight it more because I didn't feel like I was very good at telling stories but then I realized they aren't that bad and she loves them. We do still a limit of one story per car trip. Sometimes I try to get her to tell me a story but she says they are all mixed up.
One fun thing about telling the stories is I get to make them how I want them. There's nothing quite like telling a story to your daughter to help you see the lessons in it that you don't want her to learn. For example, the princesses are often older than in the originals (Sleeping Beauty generally gets until her 18th birthday at least). I will also give a different version than the Disney one. If she tries to tell me that's not how the story goes, I just say there are lots of different versions.
Last night I was telling her the story of The Little Mermaid. Generally I have a few problems with this one (I've never been a big fan of love at first sight, for example). So last night, when Ariel went up to land and met the prince, she didn't like him. He wasn't as great as she had thought so she rechecked her contract with the Sea Witch and discovered she didn't have to have the prince fall in love with her, just a human. So she went to the village and got to know the baker. He was nice and funny and they fell in love (I didn't go into how it happened in three days). Then after they got married, they decided to become mer-people and went back and lived with her family (he was an orphan so he didn't have any family to leave behind). And they all lived happily ever after.

4 comments:
that's really funny. maybe we should turn the movies off and tell more stories.
Cute story ideas! My kids love stories about themselves. I used to tell them to Hannah and Maggie all the time. It would just be a story about them and what they were doing. I made Katrina a book about her new big girl bed and getting rid of her binky. She loved reading it every night until it fell apart.
*happy sigh* I love stories. Sometimes I tell one to Uchenna to make some particular point (like last Saturday which was beautiful, but with a winter storm forcasted soon, I said was like when the kids broke into the garden of the Selfish Giant). It's a long way around just to make a point, but he's learned to listen patiently and even act as if he's enjoying it.
That reminds me of when Jen told us Greek myths at bedtime, and they always ended happily.
Post a Comment