Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Favorite Mom-isms

I don't know if I've mentioned this here or not but my mom is a HILARIOUS woman. So to honor her for Mother's Day, I thought I would put up some of my favorite quotes from her. And since I see my sisters (and sister in laws) as the center of all wisdom in the universe with regards to child rearing, there are a few quotes from them too.

- (shove) I'm nice! (to my brother as he was saying how nice his mother in law is)

- hehehe This is so inappropriate! hehehe (during a laughing fit in the temple)

- I just skip those parts (when recommending a book with steamy sex scenes in it, or when I'm reading said book and she hadn't warned me before I started it)

- I think we've prayed enough today (to my dad, he had just gotten off of his mission and was still in missionary mode of praying frequently)

-It sounds like you (her defense for mis-quoting us in one of her many magazine articles.)

- I called you so I wouldn't kill my kids (my sister to my mom on discovering her twins had smeared a whole tub of margarine all over the dining room, including the new carpet)

- Yeah, but you didn't understand any of it (when we realized that many of our favorite childhood movies are not actually appropriate for children - like Gigi or 1776)

- Having a baby is like having your heart outside of your body and walking around (my sister on motherhood)

- I don't want them to be comfortable, I want them to suffer. Really, really suffer (in discussing the three degrees of glory and where people like mass murderers will go)

- Oh I can't stand that woman! (My sister was talking about someone she was having a hard time with and Dad and Grandpa were both trying to point out her perspective. Mom came in, asked who we were talking about and this was her first reaction.)

- A mouse tattoo? That's kind of a different demographic. And how many people who get tattoos want mice anyway? (Her reaction to hearing a commercial for a bank and their promotion for a 'free mouse pad too' if you open an account with them.)

- Now you know how much I love you (to me when I first had Anna)

So what are your favorite Mom Abbott quotes?

6 comments:

Aaron said...

Just recently, I mentioned I thought the shirt I was wearing made me look fat, and mom said, "It's not the shirt." Thanks mom.

Judy and Lloyd Abbott said...

If I'd known you were taking notes, I might have been more circumspect. Then again, maybe not. Anyway, thank you; I really enjoyed this blog.

kristen said...

I always loved, "out, out, damn spots!" when all of her teenage children were sitting around talking on her bed late at night and she wanted to go to sleep. We never wanted to leave her to go to our own rooms - we just loved hanging out with her and the other kids until late into the night, and she was on a quest to make sure everyone got enough sleep.

Mrs Abbott said...

I love the classic story about when everyone was around the campfire and someone said "Smoke follows beauty" and Mom said "It sure does!" (she thought they said "Smoke follows Judy"). Hee hee!

Barbara said...

Gosh, I am just so happy to be apart of such a hilarious and quotable family :)

The last quote on the post is just so sweet!

Jen said...

I find I quote Mom quite a bit--little nuggets of wisdom. But as for an expression, I always liked "bless their little pointed heads" aimed at people acting like stinkers.