After Christmas we went to a Honolulu tradition called Honolulu City Lights. This is something they do every year and have for 27 years. Basically, around the city hall, or Honolulu Hale, the city puts up big Christmas themed statues, have lights in the trees, rides for kids and all kinds of decorations in the City Hall.
We had a lot of fun walking around and seeing the decorations.
Santa and Mrs. Claus hanging out by the fountain. There was more to this one but there were so many people I couldn't get it all without having people block parts.
Anna as the mermaid
and the little doll. We spent a lot of time here putting our faces in all the holes.
Anna riding the little carousel. There were four horses and although she went straight to this one before it started, once it got going, she wanted to switch. Fortunately the operator didn't mind her doing so.
Inside the Hale, they had trees that had been decorated by lots of different groups and organizations along with a little Santa's workshop type place. I think they had a Santa there before Christmas but he was gone when we went. I didn't get any pictures of this part because the lighting was bad. They had gone all out though.
Down one hallway, there were a bunch of wreaths. There had been a contest and some of them had ribbons in various categories. I found I was most interested in the non-traditional wreaths. Here are my two favorite.
A rainbow of crayons with them all melted together in the middle.
Painted rubber slippers with pictures of the people involved. This one just feels so Hawaii to me.
It was a fun evening and I was really glad we went after Christmas. At first I wanted to go before but in retrospect, I think it probably would have been too crowded to be fun.

No comments:
Post a Comment