(My Big Fat Greek Wedding) I have to admit it, I seem to have turned into a mom. I know you're thinking "um, didn't that happen 6 months ago?" but that's when I had the baby. Now I see myself doing all kinds of things that I thought other moms were crazy for doing. Things like letting her slobber all over my face in the form of "kisses". Or not thinking twice about drinking out of my water bottle after she has just been chewing/drooling on it. Or letting her have pens/paper/my finger/whatever she wants to chew on (I do draw the line at pencils though). Or worrying that she will poke her eye out or perforate her palate with said pen. Or tuning out her screaming, within reason. Or liking my finger and washing something off her face. Or feeling horrible when she gets hurt. Or spending an inordinate amount of time just staring at her and watching her explore her world. Or doing just about anything to make her laugh.It kind of reminds me of a scene from the movie Baby Mama. The Tina Fey character is visiting her family and her sister, who has kids, is telling her that kids are messy. Then her little boy comes up with something brown on his hands. She asks him if it's chocolate or poop and when he doesn't answer, she smells it and then licks it. Fortunately it's chocolate but the Tina Fey character is aghast and points out that it could have been poop. Her sister just laughs and says "see, messy".
While I don't think I would EVER do that, it was kind of funny and points out how people get crazy when they become parents. The kind of crazy that non-parents are just shocked at and parents are just like, well yeah. I think it's partly the love that you have for the baby that non-parents don't understand. Love that strong drives you to do and worry about crazy things. Also, when you're with someone as much as you are with your baby and do everything for them, there is a level of comfort that makes anything seem reasonable. I knew of someone who would stick their finger in the diaper to see if it was poopy. So far, I stick with just looking.

1 comment:
We were outside riding bikes the other day and Brennan came up to me with 2 handfuls of dog poo. Stupid dog owners let their dogs poop on our lawn. Luckily it was dried out, but I still freaked and ran inside to sterilize us.
Post a Comment