
Let me explain, before Anna was born, I worked in the blood bank of a hospital laboratory for about two and a half years. My job was to do all of the testing that went along with a blood transfusion: typing the patient, checking the unit from the Red Cross and cross matching them to make sure they were compatible. I love the little clump you get with a positive reaction. I love having no idea what type a person is and then having the little clumps tell you. It was even kind of fun when it didn't work out right and we had to look into the patient's history to try to explain why. So the testing was fun.


I also like the actual units of blood. They are all different sizes and colors (within the red spectrum) and it's fun to just kind of poke the bag. I love donating blood because I know I have a relatively rare blood type (A negative) that hospitals often need. Sometimes the Red Cross even calls me and asks me to donate if they are running low of my type. I look at my perpetual donation scar as a bit of a badge of courage and feel like I should go in again.
While I don't work now (and have no desire to) I love that I know how to and can intelligently join a conversation or explain it to someone who hasn't had my training.

3 comments:
Glad someone is willing to love and work with blood! I'm O + which is rare too and the blood bank would call me as well. I couldn't say no. Ethan and Jonah are both O + as well
I always thought I was O+ but recently found out I was A-. Don't know where the misunderstanding came from, but it's discombobulating to find you're wrong about something kinda fundamental to who you are (thought not like suddenly learning you're adopted, or anything on that scale).
I miss this part of my life. I miss working with blood too. Sometimes I wish I did your major because then if I wanted to get a job I have more marketable skills. Blood is a great thing to be grateful for.
Post a Comment