Thursday, February 17, 2011

Anna's Birthday


We had a fun birthday with Anna. On her birthday, we took cupcakes to her Keiki Steps class. Anna called them muffins. That night we let her choose dinner and she chose pizza. She was very decisive about wanting to go out to dinner (not just order it in) so we went to a Pizza Hut that has a buffet. It was a huge hit. After we got home, we stuck some candles into the left over cupcakes.

Enjoying our cupcakes with presents waiting.

Then on Wednesday we had a party with our friends at the beach. I made my first (and probably not last) princess cake. Or in this case, a fairy princess cake.

I went with the way of making it by using a bowl to cook the cake batter in and just buying a Barbie to put in for the princess. Unfortunately, after I had made the cake, it only came up to the Barbie's knees. So Jason had the idea to just taking the legs off of the Barbie and making it look like she was sitting. Anna added the mini Barbie in the front. I thought it turned out really cute. In retrospect, I wasn't too thrilled with the writing but oh well.


To go on a tangent, I was cleaning some icing out of one of the tips and it kind of exploded on me. I was impressed with the height.

Back to the birthday. The beach was a hit. I was worried about the weather because it had been rainy and cold (at least, coldish). It was even rainy that morning but it stayed clear at the beach. Our friends all came and it was quite a few kids - three families totaling 11 kids. Jason stayed in the water and watched the kids and I got to stay seated up by the tables and chat with the moms.

Singing.

Blowing out the candles. You can tell how I made the ruffles look like she was sitting.

They were even so excited about going back in the water that Anna left behind presents after we had cake. She found them later when they came back for a snack.

Anna's boys all playing in the water together. They are all either three or four and Anna loves playing with all of them. We heard their giggling all the way up at the table. It was a great birthday and fun was had by all.

4 comments:

Missa said...

The cake turned out cute! Sounds like a fun birthday party.

Aaron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron said...

Define "coldish"

Ellen said...

I don't know the exact temperature (you would laugh at it anyway) but it was cloudy and rainy and we had to close our windows. Point is, not beach weather.