Everything burned! Or came out on the dark side and dry if I pulled it out when it started to smell done rather then when the timer went off. I had the feeling that it was running a little hot so I started with just turning the temperature down 25 degrees from whatever the recipe called for. It didn't seem to be enough.
Remembering the sage advice of my sister-in-law Marrisse, I got an oven thermometer so I could see what was actually going on. On Friday I braved the heat, turned on the oven and did some testing. Here are my results:
Where it's set The Actual Temperature
150 225
200 275/300
250 350
275 375
300 425
350 450
Well no wonder I kept burning stuff. I didn't go any higher because when do you need to cook at a higher temperature than 450? What surprised me with these results was that the temperature didn't stay a simple 75 degrees too high, it was more like a sliding scale. I think I'll post my chart next to the oven so I'm not swayed by the numbers on the dial.

1 comment:
Pizza cooks at 500 degrees. At least mine does. I wonder if your apartment manager would spring for having the oven recalibrated.
Post a Comment