Friday, October 10, 2008

How big is Anna?

Sooooooo big (but not as big as she thinks she is). So Anna is eight months old now and has picked up a ton of new skills. She is very pleased with herself that she has figured out how to stand up in her crib (sadly I don't have a picture of this yet). Needless to say, it's all she does. She even figured out how to stand in her sleeper bag (like footed pajamas but without the feet, just a seam). Her crib is now on the lowest setting. It's very common to put her down for a nap and after a little while hear giggling. When we peek in, she is standing and kind of bouncing and laughing at herself. It's hard to be upset when she is so happy and pleased with herself.




On Sunday, at conference, a friend of ours introduced her to Cheerios. She hadn't had them yet and thought they were pretty good. I noticed that she was able to pick them up with her thumb and forefinger (a big step for those of you without kids) and get it into her mouth. That same day, when I was changing her nappy (as they call them here) I noticed she has cut another tooth. This one is on the top and just to her left of the middle two teeth. I was not surprised as she had been chewing predominantly on that side for some time. This whole teething thing doesn't seem to be too bad for her.



As far as actual size goes, when we were in Mumbai and she was 7 months old, I weighed her and she weighed 7 kilograms (about 15.4 pounds). That put her right in the middle of the weight curve. I wasn't able to measure her height accurately (we did compare her to Jason's feet which are about a foot and she was two and a half of those but that was pretty sketchy) while we were there though. Since coming here, we have two tape measures (you find the strangest things in furnished flats) and I tried to measure her but she was wiggly and I was alone. I think it was about 27 inches. I don't have my height growth curve though so I don't know where that puts her. I think it's near the top though.


Ever since we were in India, Anna has been able to get up on all fours. Any time she tried to move forward though she would just fall on her tummy. From there she was able to army crawl to get what she wanted. Now that she is spending more time on the floor (carpets are so much nicer than tile to play on), she has actually been able to crawl a few steps! So far, she hasn't gotten too far or go to fast (which I know will soon change) but we all get really excited about it.


So that is what Anna is up to now. She just keeps getting bigger and bigger. With Jason home more (he only goes into school 2 or 3 days a week) she is getting to like him more. Of course she still likes me best if anything is actually wrong but he is getting fun too. Often he is more interesting than eating. Naturally, people love her here too. She makes friends on the tube or the train every time we go. A friend pointed out that she is so popular because she is so responsive and happy. It's hard not to love a baby who is smiling at you with that cute smile she has. I know we sure can't stand the level of cuteness in this house.

No comments: