Monday, October 13, 2008

Monday, Monday

You can tell she is impressed with the really old carvings in the British Museum.

I realize this probably sounds crazy but I quite enjoy Mondays. Let me explain. I feel like I'm in a constant state of trying to be a better home maker. On Mondays, I'm all gung-ho about getting things done and being organized. Then, as the week progresses, I'll not do something (like dishes or ironing) because I don't feel like it. Unfortunately, my brain gets stunted, like I can't move on from the thing I haven't done. So then I end up spending the rest of the day reading while Anna plays on the floor and chastising myself for not doing whatever it is that I'm avoiding. It's a vicious cycle.

Fortunately, there is the weekend. It's as if this is my chance for repentance and renewal (oh the symbolism) and I can start the week off right. Today has been no different. I had a great day of productivity and down time so I could read. To top it all off, Anna has had good naps which we all know can either make or break a day (with all the moving around, her naps have truly suffered. I'm starting to get her on at least a loose nap schedule). Other than the staying up too late, this day has been pretty great.

To add to my great day, I've put together a schedule to follow for days in the future (I love planning). So now I know what I need to do when and on what days while still giving myself down time and flexibility. The hope is that then I won't feel a need to rebel (I can have quite the rebellious streak) and will stick to it. Plus, I won't stress about the things I need to do because I have a time set aside to do them. As you can tell, I'm a big fan of schedules and, like my dad, systems. Now if only they would actually work in practice and not just on paper...

2 comments:

Hilary said...

we're so alike it's scary.

Jen said...

I too waver between loving/needing a plan and rebelling against it! Often a compelling book is the monkey wrench in the schedule, but the internet can be just as damaging.