Friday, May 8, 2009

It's a Rainy Day

A little background. I don't like to get wet, especially wet clothes. I don't know why that is but it just isn't my thing. Which is why I was a little bit surprised when I was happily reading my book with Anna playing quasi-contentedly on the floor and I got the urge to take her out and play in the rain.


The storm had a pretty impressive start with some dang loud thunder. When it struck, Anna looked at me with the something-just-happened-how-should-I-react-to-it face. I went with a huge smile and tried to pass it off as fun. It seemed to work because she went back to playing.


While I was reading, it occurred to me that she had never played in the rain and we needed to go out and enjoy that rite of childhood. I put on my galoshes and what I thought was a rain jacket (turns out it was merely a wind breaker and hardly kept out the rain) and put Anna in her rain jacket and crocs (she doesn't have galoshes) and we headed out.


At first, she wasn't so sure and I was the only one splashing in the puddles. After a while, she was willing to walk around and bend down to splash the water. She never did get into splashing with her feet but that could have had something to do with the holes in the crocs.


We walked up the street a little bit. I decided it was time to come in when I started to get cold and her pants were completely soaked. Fortunately, her jacket blocked the rain quite well and her shirt was completely dry. Even so, I thought the best thing to warm her up after that would be a bath.


Too bad she wouldn't sit down in the tub. Oh well, her feet and calves were toasty when she got out.