Once again we are moving. We don't have a job yet but Jason is doing a lot of applying (not letting a little thing like not hiring get in the way of sending a portfolio) and we have to be out of our place before June 1st. In case you are wondering, we are going to be visiting with family for the month of June and hopefully by the end of that, we will have a job. Cross your fingers. I am so ready to be settled somewhere for longer than 6 months.
Moving is never fun but in this one, I'm noticing something new to it all. My friends here are kind of distancing themselves emotionally. I don't blame them. I totally get it. I need to focus on getting packed up and moved out, their lives go on. Plus, if you have a choice between a friend who is going to be around in a month and one who is leaving in two weeks, you can't blame them for choosing the latter. It's a kind of emotional self-preservation. Our church here is very transitory what with all the students and this year there seem to be a lot of us leaving. It's really hard on the people being left behind to see all their friends go.
I understand all of this, at least mentally. Emotionally, it's kind of sad. What is kind of strange is that I've never noticed this before. I was thinking about it and I think it's because I haven't really had friends that I hang out with before. I know this makes me sound so sad and friendless but that's not it. Before I had co-workers and people I would talk to at work but didn't really hang out with. Friends closer than that were long-distance ones left over from when I was single. Since having Anna, I now hang out with other moms and we have spent a fair amount of time with other couples so there is more to leave.
I might not mind so much except that I don't know where we are going yet. Usually when we have moved in the past, I can focus on being excited about where we are going instead of thinking about where we are leaving. I mean, sure we are going to visit with family but that is more like a vacation and not really a place to look forward to. Maybe if we had a job and a place to go, I wouldn't mind so much that my friends have moved on. As it is, it makes me a little bit sad.
5 days ago

3 comments:
Yes, in a sense your friends have/are moving on... however there are many friends that you have that will always be there even though they are far away distance wise. The positive impact that you make in their lives will always be treasured. Hopefully, someday will be able to visit with your family again. :)
our good friends the hunsakers (institute director with 10 kids) are moving to utah next month, and i have been distancing myself a little too. mostly it's just too hard to talk to them b/c it reminds me that they're leaving, and i'm in denial. then i heard that they are excited to move b/c living here has been so difficult for them, and that makes me even sadder.
I hate that feeling. I always just ignore the fact that people are leaving and then deal with it when they are gone. When people are moving they need the most help and support. one time we were in a ward where they released us early from our callings before we left because they did a big reorganization. we always felt like visitors after that until we moved - it was really hard.
Post a Comment