Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter at Church

Today was just the sort of day that you want on Easter. We ended up getting there about ten minutes early because our ride had something going on. It was really nice to have that extra time before the meeting started to chat and meander to your seats. Plus, I had a little bit of time to work on my lesson.

In sacrament meeting, we had two different musical numbers - the primary kids and a soloist singing a song about Christ. Then there were three different talks. I don't really remember what they all talked about. I admit, I was coloring for my lesson and well, Anna is pretty active on the pew. In spite of those distractions, the Spirit was so strong that even I felt it and had to keep back the tears. The poor soloist had a hard time singing.

In nursery (yes, I am in the nursery - age 18 months to 3 years), we had two new kids whose names we didn't catch until it was time to go home to make a grand total of 13 kids, including Anna. We did have 3-4 leaders but our room is really small and made smaller by the presence of family history computers (we're not sure who decided that these two things could share a room but there you go). While this may all sound like a recipe for disaster, things went surprisingly smoothly. The kids played well together and there were less tears from leaving parents than usual.

For the first time since I've been in there, we had a lesson during snack time. I told the Easter story with visual aides. I was surprised at how closely the kids payed attention. We talked about how Jesus died and was placed in the tomb with the big stone rolled in front of the door. I had paper cut outs of the tomb, stone and Jesus. The tomb had a hole where the door was and I put the Jesus cut out behind it so they could see him through the door. Then when Mary came and was sad, the kids all looked sad and then surprised when I rolled the stone away and Jesus wasn't there. They were all happy again when he was alive and comforted Mary. Being able to tell the story to an audience that hadn't already heard it a million times really reiterated the miracle of it and I was pleasantly surprised to feel the spirit. A great day at church.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

how cute! our nursery meets in one section of the cultural hall b/c the nursery room is so tiny. it has worked out great. then they walk to a primary room for their lesson. they sit & listen surprisingly well.

Unknown said...

that was actually hilary's comment. i guess i'm signed onto dave's account.

Boo said...

Lisy was surprisingly good in nursery today. Near the end of Sacrament meeting, she started crashing from her sugar high, so I was worried. Apparently all the kids were in the same boat. And instead of bouncing off the walls, they were quiet and subdued. I never would've guessed.

Chaci said...

Sounds like a great Easter--I'm so glad you're in nursery!