Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Moving Again


I recently realized just how little time we have left here in Philly before we move on. While we don't yet know where we are going to be moving to next, the odds are good that we will be leaving the country once again. With that in mind, I'm starting to think about purging all of our crap.

Since wherever we go, they will use a different voltage, pretty much everything that plugs into the wall has to go. I'm starting with thinking of what I can get rid of now. I don't want to sell everything and live in an empty apartment for a month but I don't really want to wait until the last minute once again and be scrambling. So, I'm looking at things we don't use much like our toaster over and waffle iron to go out in the first round.

Then there is the question of how to sell them. I've been thinking about getting a booth at a flea market but am not sure how much I could get for it all. Some of it is decent and I was looking at a website that said to price things at about 10% of what you paid for it. At least I could just take it all at once. On the other hand, there is craigslist but I don't want to have to list everything separately. The idea of a yard sale has crossed my mind but we don't really have a yard (few places in Philly do so I couldn't even really ask a friend) and we are pretty off the beaten path for passing cars.


I'm also trying to figure out what we will want to take with us. Naturally anything emotional will stay with us. I just don't know about things like dishes and furniture. We will be able to buy things there, and it will probably be cheaper than shipping it, but do we want to live in an empty place after we arrive until we can get things replaced? I'm thinking of choosing a few necessities to take (things like one set of measuring spoons a cups - I have several, a few place settings of dishes, one or two sets of sheets) and purging the rest.

The idea of getting rid of my clothes is kind of exciting. Each time I open my closet I think of what will stay and what will go. I have so many things that I wear because I don't really have anything else (poor students that we are, I haven't bought clothes for me in a long time) but don't really like them or they are starting to get small as they shrink a little bit more in each wash. The dilemma comes with Anna's clothes. Jason pointed out that we could probably just get rid of all of our baby clothes since we won't need them for a bit. Logically that makes sense. Unfortunately, I'm kind of attached to them in a silly sentimental way that I would not have expected of myself (since I'm not the sentimental type) and am not ready to do that just yet.

As you can see, I have been thinking about this a lot. I fear, it's about time to start taking some kind of action. Wish me luck and if there is anything of ours that you would like (except that area rug, after all we went through it is definitely coming with us) make an offer.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

yuck. what a headache.

Arizona Girl said...

I'm not good at getting rid of things. My sister is, but I am horrible at it. But here are some ideas, 1- don't do the big stuff till you know where you are going, you might just stay state side, 2- Craigslist is a great option. I've bought a number of baby items that we needed/wanted from there. You can list a few items at once (bunch similar items) and they do have a yard sale listing. Good luck with that and keep us updated.