Thursday, April 2, 2009

Area Rug

When we lived in Utah, we bought this area rug that I loved. It was beautiful and had the nonstick rubber backing. Who could ask for anything more? Well, in the move to Philadelphia, it got wet and funky. Since we loved it so, we decided to wash it. It is machine washable but huge so it wouldn't fit in our tiny washing machine in our old house. It ended up living in the basement the whole time we lived in that house and we didn't do anything about it. Oops.

So when we moved into our apartment, we didn't have a handy basement to hide it in and it ended up folded up in a corner of the living room. This was quite the inducement to get it cleaned and on the floor (in the right way). I found a laundromat with a large capacity washer and last week, while borrowing a friend's car, got it cleaned. So here it is in our living room.


I love the bold blocks of color so it can go in just about any room. It's really nice to have a cushy rug underfoot. One downsize is that it shows dirt really well. I have to admit that I almost prefer floors that do. Before you think I'm crazy (too late) let me explain myself. As far as housework goes, I'm at the clean it when it looks dirty stage. As a result, if the dirt blends in, I find myself never cleaning the floor (bad). So if I can see it, I'm reminded to clean in. Plus, I really like it when I'm cleaning to see things be cleaner when I'm done. If I can't tell that everything is off the floor, how do I know I got it all and can stop? These are my reasons. They may change when I have more kids (and in my mind will magically be a more consistent cleaner) but that's how it is for now. But I digress.

Back to my area rug. One last thing. We did toy with the idea of just replacing the rug (before we realized it was machine washable and worried about having to take it somewhere to clean it and have it be really expensive) but by then, Target had stopped selling it. And while there was the option of getting a different one, I found that this rug became what I measured all other rugs against and I still like this one better. I guess it will have to come with us wherever we go next.

2 comments:

kristen said...

I am so happy that you have your rug back. I completely agree about the cleaning thing. I am having a hard time getting to cleaning at this point, so i need it to look like it needs cleaning and then a big difference after i have put all of that time and effort into a job.

Missa said...

Oh! I am so sad that Target doesn't carry that rug any more. I have loved it since you bought it, but didn't have any place suitable for it.