Sunday, June 15, 2008

Exploring

Today we went out and about in the wide world. Jason has to work at least a half day on Saturdays so Sunday is really the only day that he is off off. If we weren't used to school when he is gone all day on Saturdays this would be more annoying than it is. Back to today. We arranged to have one of the office drivers (there are two and we can use them when they are not busy with office stuff) and Bindu's car take us out and about with Kaustav (an Indian from the office who is working here for just a couple of weeks, I didn't really get his story). There was some confusion with the car and we ended getting out later than we had planned but in the end it all worked out.


This is Adalaj Vav which is a step well that was built in 1499 for a chieftain's wife for hanging out with all her friends. While in the US we might just dig straight down and get a bucket, they dug in at an angle and used stairs to get to the water and offer lounging spaces under ground. It was then open from the top where the water was as well as at various points along the way. The lighting was really dramatic with the sun and shadow so the pictures were a little tricky, yeah for photoshop. We noticed that a big difference between here and if it were in the US is that here we were able to just climb all over it. In the US there would be guard rails practically everywhere so people didn't hurt themselves. I was also very glad that Anna is not older and was content to be in the wrap.

This is a view up the main well.

Here we are exploring.

This is the pavilion space as the stairs go downward.

Detailing of elephants along a wall.


Looking back up the steps.

From there we went to Sabarmati Ashram which is Gandhi's place. This is where it was really nice to have a native with us who could explain things. It occured to me that it was too bad that I hadn't seen the movie before but Kaustav was able to explain things to us. It helped us realize how great he is to the natives by thinking of what George Washington would be like to an American in about 1800. It's in the middle of town right along the river.

Gandhi's actual seat, wool spinner, etc in his bedroom.

Jason and Kaustav on Gandhi's porch.

Ellen and Anna in front of Gandhi statue (behind).

From there we went to the India Institute of Management. This is a really prestigious business school that was designed by Louis Kahn (a famous architect who taught at Penn). It was technically closed so we could only walk around the outside. As you can see, lots of brick.


Louis Kahn Plaza in the center of the campus.

Corridor

Lastly, we went to a famous Indian Architect's office that is still an active firm. It occurred to us that if it were any day but Sunday, we wouldn't have been able to go in there. hehehe The grounds were really pretty.


Anna was great for this whole trip even though it was hot and humid and we woke her up from her nap for it. She was able to sleep in the car (the well is in a neighboring town) so I think that helped. She was loved and admired everywhere. Sometimes too much so. When we got out of the car at the well, we were next to a mango cart (it's mango season) and one of the people wanted to hold her. Naturally we said no. Then when I was getting into the wrap, we let our driver hold her but he wouldn't give her back and started going down the steps with her! I was NOT ok with this and followed closely until we got to the bottom where Jason had to coerce her from him and give her back to me. I know they mean well but sometimes they are a little too friendly. Also, when we were at the well, another guy there took a picture of Anna and I. The lady by the mango cart got a picture with us also.

4 comments:

brohammas said...

I wanna go too. Lucky!

Missa said...

It appears that you have a moby too. I LOVE mine. I only wish I had it with my other kids. Katrina just snuggles up against me and goes to sleep whenever she is in it. Sounds like an interesting day.

Ellen said...

Yep I think the Moby is great too. Anna doesn't sleep in it anymore though. I love it for all the places where a stroller would be a pain.

Missa said...

As my stroller is taken up by Caleb in the front seat and Sophie standing on the back, Katrina's only option is the moby. I'm trying to convince Sophie to walk, but she doesn't like change. It's going to be a long haul. I also use it at the store. It's easier to keep track of all the other kids when she's with me.