Here is the view from our living room balcony. We are on the 8th floor. The day was a little hazy when I took this. Generally though we don't have much pollution and it's really clear. 
1. Sink: Here is our kitchen sink. It's small and forces me to do dishes frequently which is good because we don't have very many dishes.
2. What Anna is doing right now: Sleeping, naturally. This is prime blogging time and it happens a lot as she is still doing two naps a day. As you can see, she is working on rolling over from back to front. She doesn't do it very often and doesn't quite make it all the way around when she does but she is working on it. Fortunately, she isn't doing it while I change her diaper yet. I thought about rolling her over but I didn't want to wake her up and she can roll over by herself, even in her sleep.
3. Laundry Room: We don't really have a laundry room so much as a porch for the washer with some bars to hang our clothes out to dry on. These clothes have been out since last night and the last time I checked, they were still a little bit damp. Apparently, clothes take a long time to dry when it is very humid and has rained (although they are covered so I don't think they were actually rained on).

4. Toilet: I wasn't going to take a picture of the bathroom because there is nothing really special about it but oh well. It does have pretty tiling. I think the hose next to the toilet is to clean the bathroom with, there is a drain that you can't see behind the toilet and a lip between this room and the bedroom.
5. Closet: We didn't bring many clothes with us because we knew it would be hot and I am in the middle of laundry so it's pretty empty. Jason's side has more clothes because he had to bring work clothes too. I also use this for toiletries' storage. As you can see I brought lots because I didn't know what we would be able to get here and I was shopping at Costco so why not?

6. Favorite Room: I don't really have a favorite room here yet so I guess I will say the bedroom because it has AC (more on that later) so I go there if I get too hot during the day. The door next to the bed is the bathroom and the closet is next to the doorway where the picture was taken. That blanket is very light which is good although sometimes is can get chilly with the AC and the ceiling fan both going.
7. Fridge: I added the bouncy chair for scale, it isn't usually right there. Our fridge is small but gets the job done. One funny thing about it is that it has a lock. I don't know why I would want to lock up my food, maybe if I didn't trust my roommate?

8. Favorite pair of shoes: Other than church shoes, these are the only pair I brought with us. I bought them right before we came and they are pretty comfy because they are Dr. Scholls. So far I've decided not to wear socks with them because I think it looks dorky. I'm thinking of getting some sandals here though because when we walk along the road, I get dirt in them and the dirt will come out of sandals easier. They do velcro tighter.

9. Self Portrait: I didn't shower with Jason before he went to work because he was running late and I didn't think he had time for me too so I haven't showered yet today but here I am, looking about like I have before but sweatier. I think I have decided that while I do like my haircut, I think the bangs are funny when my hair is in a ponytail (which it always is) so I'm thinking of growing them out.
10. Dream Vacation: As I am in India in Mango season I'm kind of having a hard time coming up with where I would want to go although family is always good to visit.
Now I will tag Amanda and MaryRuth.
Now on to the other pictures to tie these all together:

Our living room. There is a TV off camera and the door is to the left. Those windows look onto a balcony. There are also two ceiling fans.
The Dining Room. As you can see this is right off the living room and our bedroom is to the right. I think the chairs are kind of funky and the table is glass topped. Anna's seat is propped on two chairs so she can be a part of meals.
The Kitchen is if you turn around from the dining room. The door to the left (where the light is coming from) is the balcony with the washing machine. Behind the fridge is a pantry for our food. Notice there is no oven. We have a countertop stove and a microwave. Bindu (a woman in Jason's office who lives one floor up) has a countertop oven if we want to use it. Grace (the office secretary who is very nice) asked if I wanted an oven but I declined as it would just make the place more hot. The white thing next to the sink is our water purifier so we get safe water and don't have to buy bottles.

This little wall with shelves is next to the door to our bedroom and separates it from the next room and Anna's room (which I don't have a picture of but the door is visible to the right. There is also a sink to the right and another bathroom that you can't see next to it (towards the camera).
This is the room behind that wall. Anna's bedroom is to the right. I guess it would be a sitting room. The glass doors lead to another balcony and there is an unused master bedroom behind that door.
Here is the bedroom we don't use. I think it's the master bedroom because it's a little bit bigger and the bathroom is bigger with a nicer shower. We don't use this room because it has boxes in it from the office and it is more out of the way. Plus, I realized all of this after I had unpacked our stuff and didn't really want to move it. So the room goes unused. Rumor has it that when people come from the states to the office for a short time, we will be their host (which is why we got a three bedroom apartment rather than a two) in which case, they will get this room.

And finally, here is the view from the back balcony. As you can see, we are kind of on the edge of town in a newer area.
The Dining Room. As you can see this is right off the living room and our bedroom is to the right. I think the chairs are kind of funky and the table is glass topped. Anna's seat is propped on two chairs so she can be a part of meals.
The Kitchen is if you turn around from the dining room. The door to the left (where the light is coming from) is the balcony with the washing machine. Behind the fridge is a pantry for our food. Notice there is no oven. We have a countertop stove and a microwave. Bindu (a woman in Jason's office who lives one floor up) has a countertop oven if we want to use it. Grace (the office secretary who is very nice) asked if I wanted an oven but I declined as it would just make the place more hot. The white thing next to the sink is our water purifier so we get safe water and don't have to buy bottles.
This little wall with shelves is next to the door to our bedroom and separates it from the next room and Anna's room (which I don't have a picture of but the door is visible to the right. There is also a sink to the right and another bathroom that you can't see next to it (towards the camera).
This is the room behind that wall. Anna's bedroom is to the right. I guess it would be a sitting room. The glass doors lead to another balcony and there is an unused master bedroom behind that door.
Here is the bedroom we don't use. I think it's the master bedroom because it's a little bit bigger and the bathroom is bigger with a nicer shower. We don't use this room because it has boxes in it from the office and it is more out of the way. Plus, I realized all of this after I had unpacked our stuff and didn't really want to move it. So the room goes unused. Rumor has it that when people come from the states to the office for a short time, we will be their host (which is why we got a three bedroom apartment rather than a two) in which case, they will get this room.
And finally, here is the view from the back balcony. As you can see, we are kind of on the edge of town in a newer area.

7 comments:
thanks for posting all the pictures ellen! they were great - i love all the thorough descriptions. your apartment looks pretty roomy and stylish. and it sounds liks his work people are really taking care of you. Dave's mom was wondering if you'll be buying any sari's. love, hilary
Sweet pad! - Ann
Wow, Ellen! I'm impressed with everything. You are definitely in a different place than us. I'm glad you got there safely! Phew!
Love, Megan
I don't know what I'll be buying yet but probably not a sari as they aren't really temple appropriate, pretty as they are. I'll take orders though.
Fun place! Seeing pictures helps me in my goal of realizing India is not a third world country and you will be safe. :)
We have a lock on our fridge because I grew tired of Benjamin scattering the condiments around the apartment. Now that he's grown out of that, Lisy is constantly trying to get in the fridge.
-MaryRuth
p.s. Do they speak English at the office, or is Jason learning a new language?
They do speak English at the office although not many people do outside of it so Jason is good and I use hand gestures and point.
Post a Comment