Saturday, June 21, 2008

Should have seen that one coming

Man, I don't blog for one day and I feel so cut off from everybody. I'll have to remember not to do that again.

So when we came here, we had every intention of bringing Anna's crib. I packed it up and it was with the rest of our luggage when we went to pick it up after the week with my brother. Unfortunately, we were thinking of other things and had forgotten completely about the port-a-crib in a box next to our suitcases. I remembered when we were on our way to NY and we didn't have time to go back and get it. We said we would just get one here.

Well we got here and as Anna wasn't rolling over from back to front yet, we decided to just have her sleep in the middle of the queen size bed that is in her room. Even when she did start to roll and would move around, I didn't think anything of it because there was a lot of crap on her bed that served as a bumper. Unfortunately, it also looked messy and un-moved in and I have been wanting to finish getting her room put together.

Then two nights ago I did. I pulled off the dirty sheets to wash, put down the blanket, moved her books to the little table and put her dirty clothes in a hamper. I felt so good to have that finally done, like in The Incredibles where she finally unpacks the last box. Then yesterday morning, we woke up to her on the floor.

Her cry was different and I could tell that something was wrong. When I went in her room and she wasn't on the bed, I knew what had happened and while walking around to the other side of the bed, I was so afraid there would be blood (we have tile floors). There wasn't. I scooped her up and took her to my room to check things out. She calmed down easily with her binkie and I gently checked out the back of her head. It seemed a little sore but definitely still intact. I checked our book What to Expect the First Year in the first aid section under head injuries. They mentioned things to look out for and to monitor her for 6 hours. I also compared the height of the bed to her height and the ledge around the bed only comes up to her chest so it's not as tall as I had feared.

After that, she had a great day. She was happy and took good naps but still woke up after a reasonable length of time. There weren't any problems that the book said to look out for and while I was quite shaken up, she has probably forgotten that it happened.

So now we really need to look for a crib. I asked Jason to ask at work where we could get one but he didn't get a chance. I'll remind him again on Monday. Rather than make her bed messy again, I got pillows and blankets and made a bumper all around her bed. So naturally she hasn't moved in her sleep since then but as I have now learned, it doesn't take much. Now I just have to hope she doesn't smother in her bumper.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

We all have a falling off the bed story. You don't realize they can do it until they do it. I think it's harder for the mom than the baby.

Amanda K said...

I was wondering why we had your pack-n-play. Oh well-- I'm sure she's fine and you will probably recover from it soon. Caleb has already fallen off the couch, and out of the car seat, onto the floor of the car (long story) so don't feel badly :) We'll keep your pack-n-play nice and safe for you.

Anonymous said...

love to get her diaper off and eat herpussy and find her tiny clit, they go wild kicking and giggling when you lick theirpussy