Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Let's just say she will be labeled

(Gigi) I think it's interesting to see the difference in how they label the food here. The packaging is generally in both English and Hindi or sometimes just English. It makes me wonder what people do who don't speak English. Maybe they just know what's in the packages that they want.

Also, there are some things that I didn't realize are US standards like where the size of the package is. In the US, it's always on the bottom of the front. Not so in India. Generally it is on the back but I have also seen it on the top and it'll often be really small and hard to find. The nutritional information I know is just a US standard but it kind of throws me off when there isn't any at all. When it is there, there is less information and the order is all different. For example, on the jar of jam there is: energy, protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamin B3, and minerals.

The expiration dates are different too. Generally, printed on the label it will say that it is best within so much time from packaging. Then, stamped somewhere on it will be the manufacturing date. It is also common to have the manufacturer's retail price printed on the label. Imported things will also have the date of import on a sticker. Imported stuff also has a lot of different languages on it. We had a package of pasta that had maybe ten different languages on it.

Everything has a little symbol in it that his a box with a dot on the inside. So far I have noticed these in either blue or green and I think it has to do with being vegetarian and the different levels of it. Pretty much everything we buy here has a green symbol but the bread's symbol is blue. I'm not sure what that means and wonder what the color would be if there were actually meat in something.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

meat would probably be red. it is interesting that we are so used to our standards that we don't even really notice them unil they are different. it would be scarey to buy stuff without a list of ingredients or nutrition information or to comparison shop when people are being sneaky with posting their amounts.

Ellen said...

It can be tricky. Comparison shopping isn't really an issue though b/c there aren't that many brands of things. I have also noticed packaging saying things like "safe and clean". That made me nervous. I hadn't thought to worry about my packaged food being safe and clean.

Anonymous said...

sweet

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm i LOVE that position but i like them n a ked, i loved licking my girls fat vag when they were that age