Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Restaurant

Last night we went to a restaurant with a bunch of people from Jason's work. It was called Barbecue Nation. Naturally they had meat which was good. It's been a while since I had any. It is an all you can eat kind of place. The meal starts with a little grill in your table and they bring out skewers of stuff that is already cooked and put it on your grill. That way it stays warm and they have marinades that you can brush on the meat and dipping sauces. There was chicken, prawns, sweet peppers, mushrooms and potatoes. For some reason, I forgot momentarily that I was in India and was a little surprised that it was spicy. Oops. The dipping sauces were a mango sauce, a kind of thousand island and sesame sauce. They also had a mint chutney which was good. Jason decided Anna needed to try the flavors. She liked the mango sauce but did not like the mint chutney.

For the main dinner, there was a buffet with lots of different things, veg and nonveg. I had a tomato soup which was kind of sweet with croutons that were quite sweet. Then I had a bunch of different dishes but have no idea what they all were other than good. Lastly, there were desserts. Apparently Gujarat is known for having a sweet tooth and they have some good desserts. There was ice cream with toppings, an orange cheesecake that was lighter and tasted like a creamscicle, fresh fruit, a pineapple fluff stuff, and a couple of different pastries. I think I had the sweet ball things in a sauce that Hilary mentioned. The people we were with knew what I was talking about immediately and said that was it and that they love them. All of the desserts were wonderful even though I was pretty full at this point and Anna was starting to loose it.

We have noticed that things happen later here. As evidenced by the fact that Jason doesn't start work until 9:30. We were at the restaurant at about 8 and it filled up while we were there. This can get a little tricky with Anna's sleep schedule. Right now she generally goes to be at 8 so any time we go out with people she tends to stay up way past her bedtime. She seems to handle it fairly well because we are usually in a new place and she likes to look around. It does throw off her sleeping the next day though but it's not too bad. I guess I could shift back her schedule to reflect this but I like having her in bed early and having the evening to ourselves. So as long as she still handles the occasional late night well, we'll just keep with it.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

How cool! See if you can get the recipe, or at least find out the name so I can look it up. I have no idea what's in it or if I could get the ingredients around here.

Amber said...

Sounds Yummy.. I love spicy food (but not too spicy). I can't believe how big she is getting. She is soooo darn cute. I can't wait to see her again. How are you guys doing? You sound like you are really enjoying India. How was the plane ride out there?