Anna seems to have developed the best balance practically overnight. First, the history of his walking development. When we were in CA for Christmas, she took her first few steps. They were more like a prolonged fall but I say it counted. But then she only did them that one time. Then when we went back to CA, she started walking all over the place. Even across big rooms. But then she wouldn't walk when we got back to Philadelphia. I guess out tiny little apartment wasn't worth the effort. Then when we were visiting my brother last week, their big house and older kids running around made it worth the effort and she took off. I was mildly concerned that when we got home she would stop again but not so. Now she is walking all over the place.
She has even figured out how to stand up all on her own. She no longer has to hold onto anything to do it. As a corollary to that, she is able to bend down and pick things up! Providing it's not too heavy (not that that keeps her from trying). With these skills firmly in place, she has discovered the unending joy of carrying things around and putting them in rooms that they don't belong in.
I guess I now know what people mean when they say that your life changes forever when the baby learns to walk. After all, you can't carry things when you're crawling. At least not very big things. But while walking, you can carry such fun things as toys, balloons, remote controls, Mom's cell phone, anyone's shoes, oven mitts, all manner of things out of the recycling bag, spices and pretty much anything that isn't nailed down. I had to stop her from trying to pick up the hall rug. I am often pretty amazed at what she can carry (isn't too heavy for her). For example, my 1 L water bottle even when it is pretty full is fair game. She does have a hard time with our really big CD case but that doesn't stop her from trying.
Needless to say, my day is now filled with getting things out of rooms that they don't belong in and putting them back. At least that's what I do when Anna is asleep. There almost doesn't seem like much point while she is still awake and will just carry it off again. In spite of the frustrations, it is really cute to see her walk around with things in her hands. Usually it's two completely unrelated things, one in each hand, like a wooden spoon and a remote. Or a book and a jar of spices. Fortunately, our place isn't too big and I can usually find the things I need.
5 days ago

4 comments:
Caleb has the best hiding places for things. Sometimes he hides Charlie's things in his little desk and then pulls them out and says boo! It's pretty funny the random things I find in there. Votive candles, socks, goldfish, etc.
Oh, the joys of parenthood. I can't wait (can you hear the sarcasm).
Ellen, I love your blog layout and I'm excited for Anna to be walking! Yay! It's a busy change but it leads to them potty training, being more independent and other such interesting activites.
Ellen, I wanted to tell you how much I liked the new appearance of your blog. It's great! Also, I'm so impressed with your writing I can't tell you. You make it so fun to read.
Mom
Post a Comment