Sunday, March 22, 2009

Communication

Anna is starting to show that she knows what we are talking about. She can answer such questions as " where's your head?" and "where's your tummy?" (this one is best if she is not wearing clothes). Next up, I want to teach her her toes.

She can also follow simple requests. She can give kisses, hugs her doll and, if it serves her purpose, come to us. I can't wait for the time when I can have her take things to Daddy or know where she put something (of course, do they ever remember where they put things?).

We are starting to think that she may be starting to talk. I have been wary of putting words in her mouth because there are a lot of things that you can think you hear in her babbling. A couple of things either keep being repeated or really apply to what is going on that I can't help but think they are intentional. I'm pretty sure she says mama and dada and book. The other day while putting cheese on her tray I'm pretty sure she said cheese. She also said eye while pointing to one (I don't remember if it was her own or in a picture). These last two only happened once so they haven't been repeated yet.

Of course there is all kinds of non-verbal communication going on. Pointing is her main source of edification right now. She points to what she wants and where she wants to go. If you start reading a book she isn't interested in, she will close it and either point to or go get the one that she wants. All of this is often combined with yelling. Who knew opinions were so distinct at such an early age?

2 comments:

Judy and Lloyd Abbott said...

Every watch one-year old's manipulate their parents in church? Young parents seem totally unaware just how much personality is going on there. So fun to watch and remember about our own. --dad

Mrs Abbott said...

Ellen, it's fun to record these in a journal, or in this case, a blog, so that you can go back and read it. Ethan's first word I distinctly remember was when he was in the car, with his car seat turned around, so about 14-15 months old and he said "mine!" Jonah and Elizabeth's and Asher's were all uh-oh! If that counts for a word. I must say that a lot.