Anna seems to be a great little flier. Shwew! On Friday I flew 5 hours to Arizona and then back on Monday (only 4 and a half hours back, interesting). I was really apprehensive about the whole thing. This was because 1. I didn't know how she would do, that's a long time in a small space 2. I've been on flights where the kids couldn't get their ears to pop, so sad and frankly annoying for the rest of us 3. she was a lap child and I read on a web site (bad idea) about how important it is to get babies their own seat because turbulence can kill babies and the price of a ticket is worth your baby's life (although I have never been in turbulence anywhere near that bad and hope to never be, how scary) 4. I was a little wary about checking her stroller at the gate because the airline's website said I could have either a stroller or a car seat but not both. As you can see, I was a bundle of nerves.
The night before the flight, I called a friend of mine whose little girl is 8 months and had flown and lot and she alleviated some of my concerns (the stroller one for example) and gave me good tips about getting through security.
So Friday morning I was off. The airport was surprisingly not busy and all the people were really nice. People offered to help and I even let them (a big thing for me) as much as they could (our stroller is different). Then on the plane Anna slept for the first three hours in the air, was awake for about an hour and then slept for the rest. She seemed to have no problem with her ears and although the flight was completely full, she slept great on my lap so I didn't have to hold her the whole time.
Monday was almost just as good. Non-busy airport, helpful people, plenty of time (being late really makes me anxious). Although Anna didn't sleep as much on the way back, we had the whole back row to ourselves which was great for stretching out and letting her sleep on the seat next to me. I also felt better about feeding her with a little bit of space on either side. We did have some kinda scary turbulence (I'm sensitive) and Anna was a bit fussy until I calmed myself down (I realized I was a bit tense) then she did too.
I am so glad it went well. With that under our belts, going to India should be a breeze seeing as we will have Jason with us to help.
5 days ago

2 comments:
My kids always do better than I think they will when we fly. As we have more kids, it just gets crazy because of all our stuff. It will be nice not to have so many car seats piled onto the luggage carrier.
My flights with Caleb hardly count since it is only a half an hour to Pittsburgh... but we're making the plunge this summer when we fly to Utah. Of course, that's nothing compared to India. Good luck with that.
Post a Comment