Back to my first day back. I had been kind of dreading this day. I was worried that I wouldn't remember how to do my job. Not that I would forget how to run the tests but how to do the computer work and things like that. Fortunately I was not worried about Anna. I have a friend from church who watches her for us and loves doing it. Her little boy (3 yrs old) asks every morning if baby Anna is coming over today. I knew she would be in good hands.
I was desperately hoping it would be a mellow day at work. I didn't think I could handle craziness. Unfortunately this was a bit of a vain hope. When I walked in, there were a number of people in the OR including a bleeder who had been going on since the day before. There were a number of different things that we were out of on the shelf but we did have some from Red Cross that just needed to be brought into inventory but of course there was not time for that with everything else going on. Things seemed to calm down a little bit after I got there. Then after the afternoon people came in and the day people left we had a couple of traumas and an exsanguination which is always a lot of work. Mostly I kept to bringing in inventory and irradiating products which kept me out of the worst business. The day was long and I was pretty tired when it was time to go home. It's amazing how eight hours can go by so quickly at home but so slowly at work.
So that was my first day. I did remember how to do things. Some stuff I had to think about but others I just seemed to know what to do. Fortunately I won't have to go back next weekend but then I will have to go back for two days the week after that (Friday and Saturday). I hope I have the stamina for it.

2 comments:
I remember feeling the same way when I went back to work part-time after Spencer was born. I was afraid I had forgotten everything, but it all came back to me. -hilary
That's so true about time--at work I'd say "oh my GOSH, it's only 3 o'clock." Now at home I say, "how on did it get to be 3 o'clock already?!"
Post a Comment