This was my first 4th of July out of the country. Oddly enough, it didn't feel like the 4th. Jason went to work and I dressed Anna and I in quasi-patriotic outfits (we don't actually own any stars and stripes gear so Anna wore red and white and I was all about blue). The Americans from work then all got together and had a bar-be-que with some of the Indians. Jeremy marinated some pork in mango puree with chili powder and grilled it. Bindu also had a bunch of veggies that she grilled and had things like chips and a salad and Indian rice. They also had some so-so corn on the cob, watermelon, peaches and mango. I tried to make a potato salad. We were able to get mayonnaise without eggs in it for the vegetarians, the problem came with the pickles. We had some homemade pickles but when I opened the jar, they were sweet. I was totally bummed so the salad just had the potatoes, mayo and garlic that I had sauteed in butter ( I didn't have garlic powder or salt). Unfortunately, I kind of overcooked the potatoes so they were more mashed than I would have liked. They were still good but it wasn't like potato salad. Oh well.Anna had a blast and was a hit (naturally, especially with the pig tails). She took a late nap so she was able to stay awake late and still be happy (I'm very glad that she is flexible with her naps. At one point I was trying to get her on more of a schedule but I decided that with our life at this point, a little flexibility is better). Later in the evening, she started talking a lot. It was hilarious. Everyone there was saying how impressed they are with her disposition. Apparently they were really worried about us coming out here, particularly about the flight. There were numerous lunch time conversations about us. Jeremy said he knew we would be ok when she was awake and happy as we came out of the airport. He was afraid we would come out with a screaming child and just be wiped out. We have definitely been blessed with Anna's ability to go with the flow and observe the world around her. She even doesn't mind going to other people yet. With her cooperation, this trip has been possible; without it and I would probably have had to stay in the States.

3 comments:
Don't worry, we had conversations about you too :) We're glad that everything went well and that she's handling things just fine. The pigtails are adorable. How do you think Caleb would look in them? Hmmm...
It is amazing how big our little ones have gotten already. It is hard to believe that Anna has teeth already! (We are expecting Thomas to have them any time now.)
My grandmother made a pickle free potato salad all the time. She never added garlic to it (which sounds really good) but she would put in some finely chopped onion and add a little bit of sugar to the mayo. (I personally preferred my mom's version with onion and dill pickle, but I was on the loosing side.)
I had some hash browns O'Brian yesterday and added just a little curry powder to them-- they were great that way-- I'll have to remember to do that again sometime.
I learned to cook a lot on my mission with visual estimations of proportions and tableware. I feel silly now having never bothered to pick up a set of measuring devices, but all my attempts usually worked out in the end.
Also, thank you for all the posts and pictures-- I have really enjoyed reading them even though I rarely comment on anything.
Nice story. With the whole bug thing, coming home to big spiders when I was in Brazil was a common occurrence. We just swept them out.
Quick question: Did you receive the email with documents for you and/or Jason to sign? and did you send them on again? They were supposed to have been sent sometime thursday (I sent you a head up email). Just checking.
Thanks.
Post a Comment