Thursday, July 17, 2008

Relatively Solid

Before we came here I had said that I would wait to start Anna on solids until we got to London. She will be 7 months old when we get there and while that is a little on the older side, there is no real harm in starting then. I decided this because I didn't know if we could get baby food here or what it would be like if we could. I also wasn't sure about hygiene and I felt like we were coming to a third world country and for some reason had a picture of us living in a village even though I knew that wouldn't be the case.

Then, at the grocery store one day, I saw baby rice cereal and started thinking about starting solids. I realized that we were still/again giving her tastes of things we were eating including things like mango (she loved it) and some of the Indian food we were eating (she does pretty well with the spicy stuff). She had even started to eye my plate while I was eating and look expectantly at me as if wondering why I wasn't giving her some. Then I noticed she wasn't pushing out her medicine anymore, just drinking it down in a much cleaner fashion. So I decided to go ahead and start the solids.

So on Saturday we got the cereal and we tried it on Monday. I made it up with a little bit of breast milk. We started with a really small amount, just to see how it would go. It was a hit. She seemed to enjoy it and didn't have problems with pushing it out of her mouth with her tongue. We have given her some almost every day since (she was pretty fussy yesterday so I wondered if she was having a reaction to the food. I tried going a day without and I'm not sure if she was less fussy today because I was giving her more of my undivided attention and we were going out and about or if it was the food. I fed her the cereal again today so we will see how tomorrow goes). She can put away a goodly amount.

Her poop has already shown the effects of her change in diet. It it more formed and smellier. Not my favorite by-product but it had to happen some time.

I'm not sure what direction we are going to go in next. I only saw the rice cereal so I don't know if the store has other cereals but was sold out (a distinct possibility) or if rice is all there is. I also didn't really see the jars of fruits and veggies so I may be making my own. We will just have to look around a little bit more and see what is available. For now, she is liking the rice.

1 comment:

JohnPaul said...

So I got the title today and it was a Utah title. Did you ever get a Pennsylvania title for the car, if so , any idea where it might be? and if not, how did you register it in Pennsylvania?

The reason I bring this up, is we might be able to bypass Pennsylvania altogether with respect to registering and all that jazz.

Let me know ASAP, thanks.

-JohnPaul