Thursday, July 10, 2008

Lunch

In India, it's very common for people to have hot, home made lunches brought to them at work in these really cool lunch box type things called tiffin boxes. They are metal and compartmentalized. I want to get some before we leave here. In fact, in Mumbai, there is this whole big thing where people pick up the tiffins at homes and deliver them to the various offices.

Here, Jason has been having lunch brought to him by a couple of different people's cooks. A few people in the office would all share what the cooks brought. It was really nice not having to worry about having something for him for lunch everyday. Then this week, Bindu asked that I join the lunch pot. It was kind of sprung on us on Monday but I have so far been able to come up with something every day. Since I know I can't compete with Indian cooks' Indian food, I have taken it upon myself to be the non-Indian food contribution. The first day I made pasta and then next it was fried rice. That was a huge hit because it had meat in it. It seems I will also be the only one to provide anything non-veg. Yesterday it was fruit salad.

So what I do is I make something and package it up in a bowl with foil over it (we don't have much in the way of tupperware and we haven't gotten any tiffins yet). Then a boy from the office named Kiren picks it up along with the other cooks' food. Then in the evening I get the empty bowl back all clean. I have been having to figure out amounts. It's a little tricky because the bowl always comes back empty no matter how much I make so I rely on Jason to let me know when it's too much.

Having to make lunch and have it ready by 12:30 when Kiren usually comes by to pick it up has added a whole new dimension to my mornings. The time really goes by quickly and usually Anna is between naps so it's like dinner but earlier and without the knowledge that Jason will be home soon.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

darn - that stinks that you have to come up with what to prepare everyday. i'm making dinner for a family at church tonight, and i always stress over whether they'll like it or if i'm making enough.

Christopher said...

I saw a special on India a few years back and they did nearly a full hour on the lunch industry, including the tiffins. It was really fascinating-- I thought the tins were rather ingenious in the way they stacked and contained everything: much fancier than anything here in the states.