(Veggie Tales) I never would have thought of myself as an alarmist. Nor would people who know me. I'm sure I always come across as so even keeled. What people don' t know is what goes on inside my head. Whenever something little happens, I have a habit of taking it to the extreme. Such as my thought that Jason had malaria when he had a fever (a common occurrence for him). Another example is when Anna falls, I'm immediately worried that she has cracked her skull or has some kind of brain damage. In my defense, we do have tile floors.So while I have these fears, I recognize that they are usually unfounded and don't get too outwardly worked up about things. Outwardly being the key word here. I can keep these fears alive in my head for days. The concern I have about that is, what if something were to actually be wrong? Would I be able to tell the difference and act accordingly or would I just try to write it off as me overreacting again and not get the proper medical attention and thereby making the situation worse?
I also suffer from the fear that when I do get medical attention that it won't be anything and I will look/sound silly to the professional. Who knows why I have such a fear of looking/sounding silly but it drives a surprisingly amount of what I do. Fortunately Jason doesn't seem to have that fear. He'll ask people almost anything. I would quasi-jokingly say I'll stand back and act like I'm not with him when I send him to ask.
This is where I rely heavily on prayer. I pray that my family will be protected, that I will know when to act and (most importantly) that I will be able to stop dwelling on things that are not as big a deal as I want to make them out to be.

3 comments:
I so hear you. I get that over-reaction-anxiety, too, and have to talk myself down. But then I wonder if I'm talking myself out of, say, a prompting to respond to a real problem.
When we first moved here, almost every time I went out I felt I needed to rush home because my house was probably on fire--it didn't help that the farmers were burning their fields to get ready for planting.
Having kids only makes it worse. Also, for this reason I'm really cutting back on watching shows like CSI and reading murder mystery novels.
It's good to know you're not the only one. I rely heavily on prayer when it comes to my kids. It's the only way you can keep your sanity.
Post a Comment