Friday, July 11, 2008

Wierd Night

This was in Arizona for Tasanee's wedding with Amber's baby AnaElizabeth. Those seats must be pretty comfy.

After Anna's two nights of sleeping through, I think she started teething more because it all fell apart. She was fussy during the day and one night woke up every 2 hours. I had every intention that night of not feeding her but it's hard to be firm when you're that tired and you know that if you just feed her, you will both be able to go back to sleep. Since then, she is back to waking up. We have thought of just closing the doors and letting her get through the night on her own (sound does not travel at all in this place so we have to keep our doors open a little bit so I can hear her) but are wary to do that before she is in a crib. I believe I have secured her bed enough so she is less likely to roll off but I'm still nervous. We are going to see if we can get a crib today while we are out shopping.

I have also thought that I would rather just gradually stop feeding her at night but having her eat less each night rather than just go cold turkey. My concern with that is that the two times that I have tried to feed her less (one night I just fed her on one side and last night I timed her and switched sides after 5 minutes) she wakes up a second time that same night. Of course I don't know if she would still have woken up the second time if I had fed her fully or not but it makes me wonder. I don't think she still needs the food, she probably just thinks she does right?

Then last night was strange. Not only did she wake up the second time, she woke up early the first time and for some reason I couldn't really hear her. The first time she woke up was when we were just going to bed (quite late, stupid movie) and Jason was actually the one that heard her. Even after he told me she was screaming (even with the doors cracked, sound doesn't travel too well) I could barely hear it. So when I went back to bed I left the doors open a little more. The second time I assume her crying is what woke me up but it was still really hard to hear even though she was at full volume.

At this point you may wonder about our baby monitor. We did bring it with us and even got plug adapters so we could plug it in. The problem is that the voltage here is 240 while in the US it's 120 so it didn't take long for our transmitter to get burned out (at least I assume that's why it stopped working). There is a way to get something that changed the voltage but we haven't gotten one yet and that is a conversation for another day.

Back to sleeping. So we are going to try to get a crib today and I'm going to work on her sleeping schedule (I have been good at waking her up in the morning so she doesn't sleep in too late in the morning. While that is nice for when I stay up too late, it messes with her naps) and gradually stop the night feedings and we will see how this all goes. Once I get he down to no eating at night, if she still wakes up we are going to send in Jason because he has no food. Somehow I thought/hoped that with her being able to fall asleep on her own (not needing to be fed or rocked to sleep) this wouldn't be such a pain.

2 comments:

Boo said...

One thing that helped Elisa: I would go in her room every 5-10 minutes and rub her back/tummy while singing a little lullabye. It was always the same lullabye, and I never picked her up. Each child is different, so I hope you can figure out what helps her the most.

Good luck,
MaryRuth

Amanda K said...

With Caleb I put him down at 7ish (sometimes later, let's be honest) but then I go in to feed him before I go to sleep-- even if he is still sleeping. Usually I try to do this is around 11, but it keeps him from waking up in the middle of the night. If I just feed him at before he goes to bed and then he wakes up at 3 then he is hungry at that point and he does need to eat. But by feeding him a little later, he seems to be content enough to sleep through the night. He never really has a hard time going back to sleep at 11 either. So it works for us. Anyway-- I hope you find something that works!