Saturday, April 19, 2008

Bow wow vows?!?


Ok, so I understand loving your pets. I even understand spending a fair amount of money on them and maybe having them in your family picture...maybe. But I was still shocked to read an article in the paper about wedding ceremonies for dogs. (It seems like these crazy things are always inspired by dogs. I don't know why.) The article talked about ceremonies with ministers and dresses and cakes (a doggie one can cost up to $200!) and caterers and a license (a human one that's not registered with the state).

Apparently first they take their pets to the marriage counselor to make sure they have found a good match and that there is chemistry between the dogs. You wouldn't want your pet to marry the wrong one, after all. Then there is the wedding planner who helps with all the details.
Petsmart even offers a bridal registry.

I think the quote from the article that really gets me is by the director of a no-kill animal shelter who said "We want to let people know that animals are human, too." Now, I could be wrong but animals are not human, that's why they are called animals. They may have feelings (which I'm sure is what she was trying to get at) and you may love them, but it's different.

2 comments:

Amanda K said...

This is pretty incredible! I would leave a comment if I could think of one...

brohammas said...

many would argue that Kay married an animal. That being said, I have no problem with pet marriages.