
Yesterday I went to New York. Jason had a meeting for school up and as the weather was nice, I decided to tag along and hang out in the city while he had to be in the meeting. Our thought with this is that we can spend time together while we drive and before and after the meeting which is more time then we would get on a normal day. So we drove up and had lunch. Then it was time for his 4 hour meeting. While he was there, Anna and I walked all over Soho looking in freakishly expensive shops. I generally didn't look at price tags b/c I didn't want to know but I did in one store and the plain t-shirt that I looked at was $200 and the jeans were around $400! Yeah, I enjoyed looking but I didn't even like the style of the clothes that much. I felt like just about everything I saw looked like something that the Olsen twins would wear. The exception was the store I went in that was all natural fiber old lady caftan clothes. I did find a store that had french baby clothes and they were SO CUTE! Even the hangers were cute. I did see a 100% wool sweater that said hand wash or dry clean only and that just made me laugh b/c it looked like it was Anna's size. The fun thing about the baby clothes is that they looked and felt different than clothes from here. I don't know how to describe them but they were great. Then I went to Canal St which is way crowded and geared more toward tourists. It looked like a bunch of street vendors got stores but kept their doors open and everything was spilling onto the street.
I did spend some time resting in Washington Square Park and got a snack. The four hours went by surprisingly fast. Then we had dinner at this little place that I had walked by in my wanderings. Then we went home. It was a fun but long day and Anna pretty much slept in her stroller the whole time.

It's funny, I really like New York. So far I have only been to Manhattan but I've been there a few times and been to different parts of it and enjoy myself every time. The reason this is funny is b/c when I lived in Maryland, I had no interest at all in even going there. I remember saying that I wanted to go to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade but then I would have to go to New York and I didn't want to do that. This changed the first time I went there. We had just moved out here and Jason had to go for school so I tagged along. As we were driving up, the first time I saw the skyline I was hooked. I still get excited going to well known places and can't seem to believe I am actually there each time I go. I haven't decided yet if I would want to live there but at least I enjoy visiting.
3 comments:
i had such a fun time there. i can definitely see how people get hooked on that place! i would love to go back. sounds like a fun day - i would love to have been with you.
so how do those little boutiques stay in business--people actually pay their prices? I had a similar price-gag experience at Sundance, with t-shirts for $200. Maybe they're catering to the same crowd.
I assume someone pays those prices. Actually while I was in the kid's shop, a woman actually bought a couple of t-shirts. Plus, I saw people with bags walking around all day.
Post a Comment