Thursday, April 17, 2008

Essential Knowledge

I find that I have a huge desire for Anna to have a firm knowledge that she is a daughter of God. There are so many things for her to learn and sometimes I worry that I don't play with her enough or that our house isn't stimulating enough (child development web sites really leave me feeling like I don't do enough for her) but lately I really feel like all of this is secondary. At night she gets two songs before bed. The first one changes but the second one is always I Am a Child of God. When I sing it, it almost doesn't feel forceful enough to emphasize the importance of knowing that she is a daughter of God and that He loves her and all that goes along with that. Today I have one of the Young Women's songs in my head and have been singing that to her too. I hope that by starting now and repeating it lots, she can internalize this knowledge and be confident and comfortable in her skin throughout her life. If so, I know that she can save herself a lot of hurt and uncertainty as she grows up and become a beautiful woman in every aspect of the word.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Being so fresh from Home, I don't think she's lacking a knowledge of her divine nature yet, but of course it's never too early to confirm and emphasize this fact, so that maybe when she hits adolescence she'll be able to avoid the often inevitable identity crisis.

Jen said...

I've been reading a book called, "The Read Aloud Handbook" (by Jim Trelease) all about why, and how, and what to read. It's very motivating--I want to go read to some little person right now. But I like your insight that while these things are super good, some knowledge is *essential* and it's never too early to start.