
I
love to read. It almost doesn't even matter if I like the book or not, it can still suck me in and I have to finish it. My sister Jen describes this as plot lust which I think is a great way of putting it. The crazy thing is I can also get sucked into books that are more character driven like ones by Meave Binchy. Those ones are really bad because I get to caring about the people and want to know what happens to them. This all gets to be a problem when a book gets all consuming. I don't read during the day because I know I would neglect Anna. Then when I read at night, I loose all track of time. Just last night, in fact, I was going to read for just a half hour before going to bed. Two hours later, I forced myself to turn off the light. The crazy thing was, I was a little sleepy when I started but as I got into it, that went away and so even though it was after 2 am when I turned off the light, it took me a little while to fall asleep. I know I'm not alone in this. My mom and a number of my siblings are the same way. It's not uncommon for my mom to be tired in the morning because she had been up way too late finishing her book. Finishing is the worst because it looks like you are so close to being done when there can be as many as 50 pages left (depending on the book's length). Not to mention the fact that the ends can be really exciting what with the climax and all. I like to think I've gotten better at regulating myself until I have a setback like last night. Stupid books.
6 comments:
I absolutely LOVE that picture of Anna! What an adorable dress and hat!! Isn't it fun to play dress-ups with a baby? Better than dolls and barbies. The book addiction gene skipped me, but I do enjoy reading occasionally. The hardest thing is finding a book to read. I'll have to check out that website you referred to in your email. love, hilary
I know what you mean! I feel like I am in a different world when I am reading a book... it's bad. But oh so good!
So much cuteness--I can hardly stand it!
And yes, I also consider books my drug of choice. And I have to care about the characters to get fully pulled into the plot. What about when you're so tired you're reading with only one eye open, like at 4:30 am? And in the morning you almost can't remember what you read.
And I'd like to claim credit for the phrase "plot lust" but actually it comes from C.S. Lewis
It is nice to hear that I am not alone in this either. I hated it, but I had to give up on reading books because I was tired. It's almost as bad a wanting to catch up on my emails to fall asleep...
Carolyn and I both love the dress you have Anna in-- she looks really cute and so big!
Dominic can read himself to sleep; he does it all the time. But I'm more like you - start reading when I'm sleepy and the book wakes me up. Except at 2 pm, when reading puts me to sleep, especially children's books.
-MaryRuth
Post a Comment